Iran war live: Trump vows to make Hormuz US territory ‘pretty soon’
Al Jazeera
Al Jazeera
Original Source
US President Donald Trump vowed to make the strategic Strait of Hormuz an American territory soon, alongside harsh economic measures against Iran. Tehran responded through its Deputy Foreign Minister, insisting the waterway will remain Iranian and that its blockade will continue until Washington accepts defeat.
Iran war live: Trump vows to make Hormuz US territory ‘pretty soon’ | Donald Trump News | Al Jazeera
Advertisement
Skip links
Skip to Content
Live
Sign up
Navigation menu
* protected by **reCAPTCHA** * News + Africa + Asia + US & Canada + Latin America + Europe + Asia Pacific * Middle East * Explained * Sport * Opinion * Video * + Features + Economy + Human Rights + Climate Crisis + Investigations + Interactives + In Pictures + Science & Technology + Podcasts + Travel + Sponsored Content
Live
Navigation menu
* **Donald Trump** * Trump, Netanyahu and the Iran question * How Iran war fallout may shape US elections * A visual guide to redistricting
**Live updates**Live updates,
Iran war live: Trump vows to make Hormuz US territory ‘pretty soon’
*US president’s words come as Treasury chief says US will use economic measures against Iran that have ‘never been seen’.*
live
!US President Donald Trump delivers remarks at the Nassau County Police Academy Center for Training and Intelligence in Garden City, New York, on August 14, 2026. (Photo by Kent NISHIMURA / AFP)
This video may contain light patterns or images that could trigger seizures or cause discomfort for people with visual sensitivities.
Al Jazeera Live
By
Caolán Magee and Shola Lawal
Published On 15 Aug 2026
15 Aug 2026
Save
Share
* Trump says he will make Strait of Hormuz a US territory “pretty soon” while preparing a hard economic blow to force Iran into ending the war. * In response to Trump’s threat to claim the Strait of Hormuz, Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi says the waterway will remain Iranian and that blockade enforcement will continue until the US accepts defeat.
49 Updates
* 1m ago (12:00 GMT) UAE condemns latest attack on ADNOC vessel in Strait of Hormuz The United Arab Emirates has condemned what it described as an Iranian attack on a vessel affiliated with state oil company ADNOC as it transited the Strait of Hormuz on Friday. ADNOC said no injuries were reported and the situation was now under control, according to the UAE’s state-run WAM news agency. In a statement posted on X, the UAE’s Foreign Ministry described the targeting of commercial shipping and use of the strait for “economic coercion or blackmail” as “acts of piracy by Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps”. The ministry called on Iran to halt the attacks and demanded the “complete and unconditional reopening of the Strait of Hormuz”. The incident follows attacks on two other ADNOC vessels transiting the waterway on Thursday evening, according to the UAE’s media.
* 16m ago (11:45 GMT) Israeli activist recounts settlers opening fire in occupied West Bank Avner Wishnitzer, cofounder of Combatants for Peace, says Israeli settlers opened fire as dozens of Palestinian and Israeli activists attempted to reach privately owned Palestinian land near the town of Beit Sahour in the occupied West Bank on Friday. Speaking to Al Jazeera from West Jerusalem, Wishnitzer said about 70 to 80 activists had gone to an uninhabited building on the land that he said had been taken over by settlers. “Yesterday we came with the intention of reclaiming the house, a building that is not populated but has been taken over by settler terrorists,” he said. “As we were already around the house, settlers opened fire in the air and directly around us, so we had to take cover.” Wishnitzer said the Israeli military arrived about 20 to 25 minutes later. “The army wasn’t there when the shots were fired,” he said, adding that soldiers “allowed settler terrorists who were heavily armed with rifles to remain in and around the house that they illegally took for themselves”.
* 31m ago (11:30 GMT) Resident in Israeli-besieged Qusra home says food and water running low We’ve been speaking to Qusai Abu Raideh, a resident of one of the besieged homes in Qusra, in the occupied West Bank. Abu Raideh said dozens of Israeli settlers have attempted to enter his house in the past few hours. He said they claimed the house was theirs and that they would control it, but that the Israeli army has managed to push them away. But he said the situation is like a “game”, as the Israeli army allows the settlers through before forcing them back again. The settlers have laid siege to the area for a week now, and have cut water and electricity to the besieged homes, essentially trapping three families. Abu Raideh said there’s been no change in the situation for a week, despite statements by US officials condemning the settler attacks. Meanwhile, necessities are running low, Abu Raideh said, as only a little food and water have managed to get through the siege, and that will soon run out, he said. Advertisement
* 46m ago (11:15 GMT) Israeli drone attack injures three people in central Gaza Three Palestinians have been injured in an Israeli drone attack on the city of Deir el-Balah in central Gaza, according to the Wafa news agency. One of the injured people was in critical condition, the agency noted. All three were transferred to the city’s Al-Aqsa Hospital for treatment.
* 1h ago (11:00 GMT) Lebanon’s Aoun says Israeli attacks ‘clear message to the negotiation track’ Lebanese President Joseph Aoun has critiscised Israel’s continuing attacks on southern Lebanon, particularly in Nabatieh and the surrounding areas, saying they repeatedly violate the agreement with the US and Israel. Aoun said the attacks constituted “a clear message to the negotiation track” and to US efforts to implement the agreement. Aoun also accused Israel of repeatedly violating international laws protecting civilians.
* 1h ago (10:45 GMT) If you’re just joining us Here are the latest developments:
+ Gaza’s Health Ministry has warned that the besieged territory’s remaining oxygen stations are operating beyond their maximum capacity and could stop functioning, amid ongoing Israeli restrictions on the entry of aid and essential supplies into the enclave. + At least two Palestinians have been killed and 14 injured in new Israeli attacks on the Gaza Strip in the past 48 hours, according to the enclave’s Health Ministry. + Israel’s army confirms its forces attacked Lebanon’s Nabatieh and Ansar areas, claiming the operation came in response to what it described as an action by Hezbollah against Israeli soldiers at the Ali al-Taher Ridge. + Yemen’s Houthi rebels used six ballistic missiles in their Friday attack on the port of al-Makha, the internationally recognised government’s army has said in a statement, killing one port security official, with two sailors also missing. !First responders evacuate a body from the rubble in the aftermath of an Israeli airstrike that targeted a house in the southern Lebanese village of Ansar on August 15, 2026. *First responders evacuate a body from the rubble following an Israeli air strike that targeted a house in the southern Lebanese village of Ansar on August 15, 2026 \[AFP]*
* 1h ago (10:30 GMT) Gaza water insecurity worsening amid settler attacks in occupied West Bank: OCHA The UN humanitarian office (OCHA) has released its latest assessment of conditions across the occupied Palestinian territory. Here are some of its key findings:
+ Most people in Gaza remain internally displaced and exposed to ongoing Israeli military attacks. About 90 percent of people experienced moderate-to-high water insecurity in early July, up from 84 percent in June. + An estimated one in four Palestinians injured in Gaza since October 2023 is living with spinal cord or brain injuries or other potentially life-changing conditions, while Israel continues to restrict the entry of rehabilitation supplies and assistive products. + In the occupied West Bank, a large-scale Israeli military operation in Qalandiya refugee camp injured 51 Palestinians and disrupted health services. + OCHA recorded 38 Israeli settler attacks in just one week that resulted in casualti
🔗 Share Article
Tags:#إيران#ترامب#مضيق هرمز#الشرق الأوسط#الصراع الأمريكي الإيراني#العقوبات الاقتصادية