International🌐 Available in EnglishAugust 19, 2026

Tariffs on Hold as Trump Claims Deal With Canada Is Near

Tariffs on Hold as Trump Claims Deal With Canada Is Near
New York Times
N
New York Times
Original Source

President Trump announced a three-day pause on 50 percent tariffs against Canadian goods, claiming a trade deal is imminent, while Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney took a more cautious stance, noting that substantial work remains unfinished.

Trump Pauses 50 Percent Tariffs on Canada and Claims Deal Is Near - The New York Times

Skip to contentSkip to site index

Canada

Today’s Paper

U.S. Tariffs and

Trade

* Trade Deficit
* U.S. Brands Returning to China
* New Tariffs on Over 80 Nations
* White House Defends Policy
* Tariff Tracker

Advertisement

SKIP ADVERTISEMENT

You have a preview view of this article while we are checking your access. When we have confirmed access, the full article content will load.

Supported by

SKIP ADVERTISEMENT

Tariffs on Hold as Trump Claims Deal With Canada Is Near

Prime Minister Mark Carney of Canada was less definitive about what the intense talks produced, saying “important work” remained.

Listen · 7:18 min

*
*
*
*

!Two transport trucks pass over a bridge. Canada and U.S. flags fly from poles on the bridge.

*Trucks passing over the Peace Bridge between Canada and the United States on Tuesday.

Credit...

Cole Burston/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images*

By

Ian AustenAna Swanson and Matina Stevis-Gridneff

Ian Austen reported from Ottawa, Ana Swanson from Washington and Matina Stevis-Gridneff from Toronto.

Published Aug. 18, 2026

Updated Aug. 19, 2026, 8:04 a.m. ET

Canada got a three-day reprieve on damaging new American tariffs against billions of dollars’ worth of goods, with President Trump claiming that a deal was close but Prime Minister Mark Carney saying only that substantial progress had been made.

Mr. Trump announced the delay on imposing 50 percent tariffs in a social media post on Tuesday night, roughly 90 minutes before the midnight deadline. The White House issued a proclamation saying Canada had agreed to make certain trade concessions, and the extra days were needed to finalize those provisions.

“I have paused the 50% Tariffs against Canada, that were scheduled to kick in tomorrow morning for a three day period, based on the fact that Canada and the U.S.A., subject to the finalization of documents, have a DEAL!” Mr. Trump said.

Mr. Trump has previously announced deals with other countries, only to have them fall through — including a recent series of elapsed agreements with Iran. In a brief statement, Mr. Carney was less definitive about what the talks have produced.

“Over the last number of weeks, Canada has engaged in intensive discussions with the United States to address outstanding trade issues,” he said. “Substantial progress has been made, although there is important work still to be done.”

Reflecting his pivot away from Canada’s economic dependence on the United States, Mr. Carney added: “Canada remains focused on building a stronger, more independent, and more competitive economy at home.”

---

Thank you for your patience while we verify access. If you are in Reader mode please exit andlog intoyour Times account, orsubscribefor all of The Times.

---

Thank you for your patience while we verify access.

Already a subscriber?Log in.

Want all of The Times?Subscribe.

Related Content

*
*
*
*
*
*

*
*
*

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

Advertisement

SKIP ADVERTISEMENT

Site Index

Site Information Navigation

* ©2026 The New York Times Company
* NYTCo
* Contact Us
* Accessibility
* Work with us
* Advertise
* T Brand Studio
* Privacy Policy
* Cookie Policy
* Terms of Service
* Terms of Sale
* Site Map
* Canada
* International
* Help
* Subscriptions
* Manage Privacy Preferences

🔗 Share Article

Tags:#أمريكا#كندا#التجارة الدولية#الرسوم الجمركية#ترامب#التفاوض التجاري

For Context

Related reads from the same topic or latest developments