Politics🌐 Available in EnglishAugust 12, 2026

“Total Whitewash”: New Pentagon Report Claims U.S. Killed No Civilians in Boat Strikes

“Total Whitewash”: New Pentagon Report Claims U.S. Killed No Civilians in Boat Strikes
The Intercept
T
The Intercept
Original Source

A newly disclosed Pentagon report on civilian casualties reveals a stark disconnect between official claims and documented facts, asserting that no civilians were killed in the Trump administration's boat strike campaign despite evidence of over 120 civilian deaths last year. Government insiders described the assessment as a complete whitewash lacking all credibility.

“Total Whitewash”: Pentagon Claims It Killed No Civilians in Boat Strikes

Support Us

Support Us

* Iran
* Midterms
* Justice
* War on Gaza
* Unmasking ICE
* Chilling Dissent

Support Us

* Special Investigations
* Voices
* Podcasts
* TomDispatch
* Press Freedom Defense Fund
* Join the Newsletter

* About
* Contact Us
* More Ways to Donate
* Impact & Reports
* Jobs
* Become a Source

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

© THE INTERCEPT

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Terms of UsePrivacy

* Iran
* Midterms
* Justice
* War on Gaza
* Unmasking ICE
* Chilling Dissent

* About
* Support Us

“Total Whitewash”: New Pentagon Report Claims U.S. Killed No Civilians in Boat Strikes

Government officials told The Intercept the War Department’s latest civilian casualty report was “sickening” and a “joke.”

Nick Turse

August 11 2026, 3:51 p.m. ET

*
* Share on Facebook
*
* Share on X
* Share on LinkedIn
* Share on WhatsApp

!US President Donald Trump speaks alongside Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth during a Cabinet meeting at Camp David in Maryland, on July 31, 2026. (Photo by Aaron Schwartz / AFP via Getty Images)

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks alongside Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth during a Cabinet meeting at Camp David in Maryland, on July 31, 2026.

Photo: Aaron Schwartz/AFP via Getty Images

The War Department

delivered its unreleased annual report on civilian casualties to members of Congress on Tuesday, two government officials told The Intercept — one of whom called the report “a fucking joke.” The report found that U.S. attacks likely killed or wounded hundreds of civilians.

The other official deemed the report, which covers allegations of civilian harm stemming from military attacks in Iran, Somalia, Yemen, and the campaign of boat strikes in the Caribbean Sea and Pacific Ocean, a “total whitewash.” It’s the latest in a series of recent Pentagon reports that have called attention to U.S. failures to prevent, mitigate, or adequately track civilian harm after self-styled War Secretary Pete Hegseth gutted civilian harm mitigation and response or CHMR programs.

Shockingly, the Pentagon’s review of its 2025 attacks found that no civilians were killed in the Trump administration’s campaign of boat strikes, according to the officials, despite the fact that the U.S. killed more than 120 civilians last year in attacks that experts call extrajudicial killings or outright murder. The Trump administration has asserted repeatedly and without evidence that the boat strike victims, who now number more than 220, were “narcoterrorists.” In a classified briefing last fall, a high-ranking officer on the Pentagon’s Joint Staff said that some of the people killed in the initial September 2, 2025, attack may have been the victims of human trafficking, according to an Intercept investigation.

“They have absolutely no credibility,” the second official told The Intercept about the boat strike claims, adding that the report was “sickening.”

Known as the 1057 report, this year’s accounting of civilian casualties reflects a backlog of incidents from the Trump administration’s strikes against Yemen’s Houthi government in the spring of 2025. The report found that U.S. attacks killed 153 civilians and wounded almost 250 during the campaign of air and naval strikes, codenamed Operation Rough Rider. The second official called these “lowball numbers.” At least 238 civilians were killed and 467 injured, according to theYemen Data Project.

One attack killed 68 people, the second official said. That attack on an immigrant detention center in Yemen killed and injured dozens of Ethiopian civilians and no combatants and was detailed in a report by Amnesty International shared with The Intercept last year. At the time, U.S. Central Command said it was still “assessing all reports of civilian harm resulting from operations during that time period.”

Most Read

The 1057 report determined that three incidents “likely” harmed civilians, according to the second official. Another 15 attacks are still under review, he said.

“The idea CENTCOM still has fifteen cases on Yemen to adjudicate doesn’t bode well for the war in Iran,” said the first official. Both officials spoke to The Intercept on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the report.

Under Section 1057 of the 2018 National Defense Authorization Act, the Pentagon is required to provide Congress and the public with data on civilian harm, mitigation steps, and assessments. The officials said the Pentagon had sent the report to members of the Armed Services Committees.

The report does not cover Trump’s ongoing failed war on Iran, which the United States and Israel launched in February, because it includes only military attacks from 2025. The second government official said that the number of incidents of civilian harm to investigate from the current war with Iran will dwarf the number in Yemen. Reports of civilian harm were recorded every day from the beginning of the war on February 28 to the first ceasefire on April 8, according to the U.K.-based air strike monitoring group, Airwars. The World Health organization put thedeath tollin Iran at 3,375 people — before theceasefirefellapartlast month.

The second official said the backlog would likely carry over several years, referencing the fact that the 10-person civilian harm mitigation team at CENTCOM has been reduced to just one individual. The first official echoed the same concerns. “How will they get through hundreds of cases for Iran if their one civilian harm person still hasn’t finished Yemen?” they asked.

We’re independent of corporate interests — and powered by members. Join us.

Become a member

Join Our NewsletterThank You For Joining!

Original reporting. Fearless journalism. Delivered to you.

Will you take the next step to support our independent journalism by becoming a member of The Intercept?

Become a member

By signing up, I agree to receive emails from The Intercept and to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Join Our Newsletter Original reporting. Fearless journalism. Delivered to you. I'm in

Currently, CENTCOM is clinging to the fiction that the U.S. attack on the Shajarah Tayyebeh elementary schoolin Minab, Iran, that killed more than 150 people, most of them children, is the lone civilian harm incident of the current war. “There is one active civilian casualty investigation from the 13,629 munitions,” Admiral Brad Cooper, the CENTCOM chief, told members of the Senate Armed Services Committee in May.

The Annual Report on Civilian Casualties in Connection with U.S. Military Operations in 2025 comes after Hegseth’s Pentagon has spent more than a year slashing measures to prevent civilian casualties, including firing the military’s top lawyers, who advise leaders on international laws of armed conflict.

A group of Democratic lawmakers told Hegsethin a July letter that his “gutting civilian harm mitigation and response (CHMR) efforts” has left the Pentagon unable to “comply with the law and its congressionally-mandated CHMR responsibilities.” They added: “The Trump administration — potentially in violation of federal law — has defunded and impeded civilian protection efforts.”

That letter, sent by Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., and nine other lawmakers, echoed concerns raised by a War Departmentinspector general reportthat described civilian protection efforts as largely “inactive.” The May report by the Pentagon’s top watchdog says cuts to civilian harm mitigation and response efforts have been so severe under Hegseth that the United States cannot adequately protect civilians in conflict zones or track harm when it occurs.

These criticisms were echoed in an another-yet-unreleased official report revealed by The Intercept that found Hegseth’s Pentagon gutted its premier center devoted to preventing civilian casualties in war zones. The War Department’s Civilian Protection Center of Excellence slashed its staff from 40 personnel

🔗 Share Article

Tags:#البنتاغون#خسائر مدنية#اليمن#إيران#حقوق الإنسان#الحرب

For Context

Related reads from the same topic or latest developments